1.18.2008

Forgiveness


I have been meditating on forgiveness this week. It seems like the Lord has consistently bringing my thoughts back to this topic since last week's message at our chapel on it. It also just 'happens' to be the topic for my ladies Bible study today. Coincidence? No, I think not. Maybe rather Providence :)


It is a hard thing to forgive sometimes - especially when it means that you are being willing to take the blow. Yes, there may be a level of restoration of fellowship - but when you've been wronged, the hurt and the ongoing consequences in your life don't just disappear. And it's hard to be willing to take that - at least for me. I don't want to take the blow for someone else's mistakes! Why should I have to? At least that's sometimes what comes to mind - and I know that's pride and selfishness and not at all like the forgiveness the Lord Jesus Christ has offered me!


Psalm 130:4 says, "If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You."


Indeed, if there was anyone who could mark my iniquities against them, it would be the Lord. Every time I sin, it is against Him! Every time I ask forgiveness - He grants it! And in a way that I humanly cannot understand. Because when I forgive, it is far from perfect - I tend to call it back to remembrance - something that He promises never to do. I fail to forgive completely - it affects my relationship with the other person. Yet if I ask Him - He forgives me completely and I can enjoy full fellowship with Him once again! Isn't that amazing!!!


"If we confess our since, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

Whenever I meditate on the forgiveness of the Lord, I think of this verse. Luke 9:62 "No one, having put his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."


When the Lord forgives, He wants us to completely accept His forgiveness! He wants us to change, press forward, and not look back. Satan would love to take our guilt and rub it in our faces - to hinder us from moving forward for the Lord. In a sense, we can allow Satan to use our guilt to keep us from being profitable servants for Him. Even if we continue to try to move forward - if we are looking back, imagine the line we would be plowing! Not very profitable! When we have asked the Lord's forgiveness, we must take Him at His word and believe that we have been cleansed and press on!!!

2 comments:

Heather Anne Riden said...

Thank you so much for that beautiful post. 'Forgivenss' is one of the many things that the Lord has been pressing on my heart as well. It makes it even harder to forgive people after years of not speaking. The Lord is so good, and he will always provide a way. Thanks again!

Laurel said...

The Lord seems to be challenging me at every turn today. Thank you for being part of His work.
Love,
Laurel