6.13.2008

I have no name for this blog - partly because I don't know where I'm going with it, partly because what I am thinking I really don't know if I can put into words. But when I feel like the Lord is putting a heavy burden on my heart, it sure helps me to write about it... so this is that attempt.

As Scott and I are traveling the country, it seems like the predominant discussion these days goes something like this, "My life is falling apart because..." Some of our days are filled to the full with one phone call after another where people are suffering... I don't know if it's always been this way, or if it truly is that God's people are opening themselves up to temptation more and more with the influence of the world around us. I personally didn't understand how much one person's sin could affect so many people until I was an adult. But more and more, we see these young people who's lives are being torn apart, and they are dealing with things well beyond their years.

So here it is - my plea that I just feel like I have to voice! It's God's plea to you...

Keep Yourselves!!!

...unspotted from the world; from falling to tempatation; from destroying your life and the lives of so many others! Too many people are dabbling with sin, and it's not a game that is going to end in your favor! The Bible says that sin is pleasurable for a season, but also that you can be sure that your sin will find you out!

The whole truth is, that none of us have to travel far from home to see the devastating effects of sin. And maybe it's even in your own home. It's in my home - I see every day the grief it causes, the tears in my children's eyes when they think of how people they know have been hurt by sin, how they have been hurt by it. And boy, does it make me just want to even more determine to 'keep myself'! Proverbs says it this way, "Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life." Are you keeping your heart?

Yesterday a JW came to my door. I shared the gospel with him. He said this, "Well, do you think that we are going to find world peace?" What a loaded question. I told him that as long as there is sin in this world, we are not going to have peace. But that my hope doesn't lie in that! My hope lies in the Lord Jesus Christ, who someday WILL bring peace to this world, and sin will be forever done away with. And that now, even though my life is touched by sin, I personally have complete peace in the Lord Jesus Christ! I can say like the Psalmist that, "the lines have fallen to me in pleasant places." Oh, it's not that I haven't had my share of suffering and pain in this life - haven't we all? But I'm living each day with my confidence in a Savior who is able to keep me, who gives me peace in spite of all the pain.

Maybe you are one of those people now, who are feeling the effects of sin, who feels like their lives are falling apart - maybe not because of anything you personally have done. Are you just wondering HOW the Lord is going to do it??? Let me just remind you that we have a God who is able to do abundantly more than you could even ask or imagine! And it's by His power - not ours. Oh, trust me, I am still waiting to see what on earth the Lord is going to do with some of those things - cause I can imagine some great ends to that situation over there - but I am choosing to trust Him each day, and I know that His solution is far better than mine! "My ways are not your ways, says the Lord." Nope - they're FAR better!!! And I fully believe it!

And that's the best advice I have to offer! Give it to Him - completely! And GUARD YOUR HEART, because truly, that's where the issues in your life will spring from. Ponder the path of your feet - plan in advance what YOU are going to do when that tough situation arises!

"My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
Do not let them depart from your eyes;
Keep them in the midst of your heart;
For they are life to those who find them,
And health to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all diligence,
For out of it spring the issues of life.
Put away from you a deceitful mouth,
And put perverse lips far from you.
Let your eyes look straight ahead,
And your eyelids look right before you.
Ponder the path of your feet,
And let all your ways be established.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
Remove your foot from evil."
Proverbs 4:20-27

9 comments:

Shawna said...

Thanks for sharing Lynn. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Sin is such a vile thing. I think we are led (by satan himself!) to believe that it can be small, or that just this little bit won't hurt. But really, you are either obeying or you are not. There is no "kinda" obeying.
Our society wants to have gray. No black and white. Reminds me of the verse in James: To him who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Thanks again! Much to think on.

Rachel said...

My heart has been heavy with these thoughts recently too. I am there with you.

It is easy to think, "Oh, that will NEVER happen to me," when we see the devastating effects of sin in someone's life. But it can. Sin creeps in, little by little, so we don't notice it.

Good post - keep praying!

Eryn said...

i have been meditating on that verse from james that shawna mentioned. your post seems to go right along with that. it is so hard to keep ourselves from the world while still living christ in the world. thanks for the encouragement to not fall into that temptation.

Crystal said...

Amen - I Peter "be holy as I am holy" - not cultural holiness, but God's standard is what we are to strive after. Not "how far can we go" in sinning, but "how holy can I be" should be the question. I understand your sentiments. Thank you for being bold enough to voice it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lynn for the reminder that we often need to continue keep our hearts and mind clean.

Shawna was right about society wanting gray, because they just want to have their own way and what they want when they want. It's amazing, even in my Kindergarten kids I see this starting and worry where it will end for them.

Thanks again!

Anne said...

I have had my mind on the same things......
Sin is such an ugly thing little or big it brings death, sadness and a horrible wall between you and othersand the Lord. It is so awesome to see the Lord and his ability to keep us from sin, guard our hearts and use us...... for His glory alone when we allow Him.

We might not know what it is that He is doing but what we do know is he is able to keep us from all sin and temptation if we focus on Him alone and only let Him in.

Thank you Lynn for this blog.... I think of the verse, "Sin is at your door and its desire is for you....... Satan longs for us to focus on ourselves and not the Lord so that we will start thinking what do I want? He does it so fast that we do not realize what is happening. Let us focus on our precious Savior at all times and what He has done for us so that we do not allow a foothold to come in.

Like Shawna said. There is no gray area when it comes to sin. Just black and white. Every sin is that sin. and it will find you out....... let us be honest with the Lord and ask him to show us what we need to work on and guard us from letting any of it in. Let us choose to make the right choice and honor our Savior, not grieve Him.

Melissa said...

Wow, this is something that has been on my mind, too. I've been working on devotions for camp and focusing on being separate from the world and not letting ourselves conform to what the world says is ok, but sticking to God's standards. I may just have to have you do a special devotion for them since you'll be there, too! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! You articulated that so well Lynn! thanks for the encouragement!

I loved the pics of your "baby" boy in your last blog. time sure does fly

Anonymous said...

Sin will take you farther than you meant to go,
keep you longer than you meant to stay,
and will cost you more than you meant to pay.
And sin always hurts other people.

Mom