1.22.2009



..."giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light." Colossians 1:12


I spent a lot of time my high school years, training to qualify for regionals, for state... I worked hard to compete, to be the fastest, to win the race! It took sweat, it took tears, it took determination. It was so satisfying to win - so amazing to cross that finish line first and to see all the hard work pay off!


Sometimes I work SO hard in my life to win the race... and rightfully so. Paul tells us to run the race as if to get the prize! But this verse reminds me that on my own merit I did not even qualify to be in the race! No matter how hard I trained, how hard I pushed, how many tears and how much determination - I didn't even meet the basic requirements!


"And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumsision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross." Colossians 2:13,14


The requirements in place were contrary to my nature - I could never make it on my own merit! The Father took it out of the way - nailed it to the cross - and when I came to the cross I was qualified - by His Son's merit - to run the race!!!


Not only am I going to run the race - I get to win the prize!!! He 'qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.' And what is that inheritance? Ephesians 1:11 says, 'in whom we also have obtained an inheritance,' also translated, 'we were made His inheritance.' Both ideas are true - we are His inheritance, and He is ours! Among and above other things, He is my inheritance! He is the inheritance of ALL those who have come to the cross!





'qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light'

I have always loved pictures of the sunrise! This one I took on a lake in Georgia. We were out fishing early and it was so calm and peaceful; it was breathtaking, really. I think one of the reasons I love light so much is that I hate darkness. Even as an adult I have to admit - I am afraid of the dark!

And so, I really love to think about the fact that Christ is the true Light;

that God commanded the light to shine out of darkness;

that His light has shone in our hearts;

that we are commanded to walk as children of light!

I Peter 2:9 is a favorite verse of mine, especially Steve Green Hide 'em in Your Heart style =)

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light"

So, how about you? Have you come to the cross; are you qualified to run the race; will you claim your inheritance? If so - take the opportunity today to give thanks to the Father who qualified YOU and proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light!!!

0 comments: