9.04.2010

Rebekah's story


It was a big decision that we made this year to change our direction with schooling. That's a whole story in itself, which I won't go into right now. I am certain, however, that even if we were to change our minds tomorrow, the few days the kids have spent in public school were where the Lord had them to be! This is Rebekah's story ...


"I was in reading class and 'A' asked me if the world will ever end. I said, "I don't think that's a question I can really answer with a yes or no," so I told her I'd talk to her at recess when we have more time. I talked to her about the Lord all recess. I said that technically, yes, the world will end, but that some of us won't be there when it does. I told her that God created earth, even us, and He deserves everything. A long time ago He (Jesus) came and died on the cross for us; the worst death anyone has ever died. For 3 hours straight He took on the sins of the whole world, anything anyone has ever done. He wants to be your Saviour, but He can't be if you won't accept Him, because He doesn't want to force us. He lets us make our own decision. She asked me if kids go to heaven automatically, like her mom says. I told her that I believe babies who don't have a chance to understand the gospel will, but that she is old enough to make her own decision. I told her more about the gospel, and she said she wanted to go to chapel with me. I told her how Jesus took the disciples to the upper room and taught them about the symbols of the bread and the wine and how they meant His body would be broken and His blood spilled. I asked her if she wanted to be saved, and she said yes. She told me she was worried that she would go to hell and and wanted to ask Jesus to forgive her sins. She prayed in the classroom on her own and then she said she had repented and wanted to be God's child! I am so excited that I have a new sister, and I really hope that her mom will let her come to chapel with me."


Rebekah took an opportunity on the second day of school to read a paper out loud to the class, in which she said that she wants to give the Lord everything in her life because He died for her, and He deserves it. We are praying this opens up even more opportunities to share God's love with the other kids, and her teacher. Although Rebekah is our outgoing child, this was not an easy thing for her to do. She almost cried when she sat in her seat, it was so overwhelming to her. But, she knew she needed to obey the Lord and that this was a good opportunity. I pray that this would spur you on like it has me, to be a bold witness for the One who does deserve all that we are and have!

"who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree,
that we, having died to sins,
might live for righteousness -
by whose stripes you were healed."
I Peter 2:24

"But God, who is rich in mercy,
because of His great love with which He loved us,
even when we were dead in trespasses,
made us alive together with Christ
(by grace you have been saved)
and raised us up together,
and made us sit together in the
heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
that in the ages to come He might show
the exceeding riches of His grace
in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
For by grace you have been saved through faith,
and that not of yourselves,
it is the gift of God,
not of works, lest anyone should boast.
For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that
we should walk in them."
Ephesians 2:4-10

3 comments:

heidi said...

i was so glad to see your blog and can't wait to read more! way to go rebekah!

Laurel said...

Wonderful! And so convicting. Thanks, Lynn.

Jessie said...

So great-such a blessing