1.28.2012

Patience

That's what I asked for this week when the ladies at our Bible study exchanged prayer requests... I seriously think that I could be asking for the same thing every week, and still needing it! I remember back to when I was part of a MOPS group and we were studying fruits of the Spirit. I had a toddler and a new walker, and when they encouraged us just to pick one to work on, so that we would not be overwhelmed - can you guess what I instantly knew that I needed to work on?


I know that I struggle with this the most when Scott is on the road - hence my request this week. We just got home from a crazy whirlwind road trip (4 days in the car and 36 hrs. at our destination -- all a day after I had the flu). We had an amazing time with our family and the wonderful people we met! Still, coming home to a huge list and a super busy week, with one day turnaround before Scott had to hit the road again, I knew my fuse was going to be short! Just thinking about juggling the responsibilities that lay before me, I was growing impatient. And, perhaps you've heard the saying, 'there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: impatience and laziness.' I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. However, I do know that in my own experience, when I am impatient, I am more quick to snap at my children and destroy that goal of peace that we are striving to maintain in our home.

So, I asked for prayer, and I prayed, and prayed, and prayed... that the Lord would give me grace and help me to keep the law of kindness on my tongue!

I am so thankful for God's grace, and for His promise that, "He who began a good work in me will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil. 1:6



And not only that, but He shows us sweet graces along the way...

The other day I overheard my kids talking. Rebekah was saying to Danny, "Daniel, I really appreciate having you for a brother. You're kind, intelligent, and you love the Lord."

Ok, so my jaw dropped a little. Yes, Rebekah tends to be super sweet, and I do believe she has the spiritual gift of encouragement (which, by the way, is awesome for a parent. Anytime I feel down, I just go find her for a little chat), but I still was caught off guard to hear that. Pretty sure I said nothing of the sort to my sisters growing up. Especially not in middle school!

And then today, Danny called home during his lunch break (he was at a conference). "Mom, I just called so you could tell Rebekah that I am really sorry to be missing her basketball game. I wanted her to know that I am thinking of her and wish her the best!" The jaw dropped much farther this time!



You would think that with such amazingly sweet kids I would have no problems being patient with them. Oh, but I just so don't get these strange things that teenagers do that make no sense whatsoever to me. And I really did lose it this morning, when the man/boy/creature stayed in the shower for almost 1/2 hr., saved me no hot water, and appeared 3 minutes after we were supposed to be leaving. With teeth unbrushed. With hair uncombed. With no shoes. I didn't even bother to ask about deodorant. I don't think I would mind so much, had we not had the same conversation at least 100 times before! Yet still, he called home today, and in front of his friends says, "I love you, mom." I seriously think the whole thing did not even hit his radar!


Ah, patience, will I ever find it? I have a sneaking suspicion that it's one of those things I will be working on even 15 years from now, and beyond!


pictures from our trip to Georgia last week*

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Daniel and Rebekah are such sweet kids! Yeah what is it about teenage boys... sometimes I think Ben takes longer to do his hair than Rachel.

It's funny, because when I was younger someone told me never to pray for patience because "trials worketh patience" (James 1). They said it was like praying for trials to come. Somehow I think that if we are sincerely praying that the Lord will help us live peaceably with our families that he's not going to send trials just to teach us patience.

Of course, the main thing about patience with kids is that what we really need is self control - to stop our sharp tongues and tones.

Thanks for the reminder Lynn. I am definitely an impatient person so it's good to remember to keep asking the Lord for help in this area.

And no, I'm certain I never heard those words coming from you. lol and vice versa. But I'll tell you now that I think you are wonderful and I'm proud of who you have turned out to be :)

Anne said...

Thank you Lynn for being willing to share that you struggle with patience and that I am not alone!! I have been praying about patience and that the Lord would give us peaceful and blessed days regardless of the situation.... The Lord is so good to give us the strength for what we need. How thankful I am for you and the love of the Lord you have!!