10.27.2012

In the storms...

This week I'd been meditating on Psalm 91, even before I heard there was a hurricane headed our way.  Right now we are in Spanish Wells, Bahamas for a bit of ministry, and also along with that comes a much needed more relaxed pace for us.  Scott has been going non-stop since the beginning of spring, and even when we've had a chance to reconnect - it's just been catching up and we've not had the time to go very much deeper.  That's another story - but for now, back to Psalm 91!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I will trust'." v.1,2

I love these verses - for one thing, they are so applicable to any circumstance we might find ourselves in!  What a blessing for a child of the Most High God to be able to dwell in His shelter whether in a time of peace or amidst any storm of life!  I also think of the shadow of the Almighty - it makes me think of just feeling His presence with me wherever I go.  That makes me feel so safe, and comforted.

Recently Scott was sharing a message about the 4 small yet wise creatures in Proverbs 30.  One thing that stood out to me was the rock badger who finds his safety in the cleft of the rock.  He was talking about the wisdom of that creature, who, when the storms get rough, runs to the rock.  Sometimes we are so foolish to run away from our Rock when the going gets tough, rather than the wisdom of running to the Rock!

So, I'd been meditating on those thoughts... and realizing that like the verse says, I need to spend more time actually SAYING it to the Lord!

Here are the final verses of that Psalm...

"Because he holds fast to Me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows My name.  When he calls to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue and honor him.  With long life I will satisfy him and show him My salvation."

Aren't they beautiful?  I know that being a child of God and looking to Him in trouble doesn't guarantee that things will turn out the way we are hoping... but no matter the outcome, we can fully trust Him and rest in knowing that even if the storms of life grow stronger, that His presence remains with us and that, 'In His presence is fulness of joy.'  Ps. 16

0 comments: