9.18.2010

Healing Waters!



"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." (Isaiah 58:11)


I have spent quite a bit of time meditating on this verse, as of late. I can recall times in my spiritual walk where I have felt like my soul was in drought. I felt dry, useless, weary, yet realizing my need for spiritual revival. At times I knew it was because I wasn't drinking from the well - I was neglecting time with the Lord; in His word, at His feet. And yet, there were times I couldn't explain. Times I was obeying, seeking Him, but still feeling like a desert.

I remember those times as I read Isaiah 58 and dwell on the desperate need of Israel at the time. They were in desperate need of spiritual reformation, they were seeking the Lord daily (v.2), they took delight in approaching God (v.2), yet they were not following God's desires in HIS WAYS, they were doing them in their own ways. God tells them, 'when you do it MY WAY (this specifically had to do with their fasting), then Your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you.' Isaiah 58:8




When the people decided to get rid of the things that were not pleasing to the Lord, the spiritual reformation that took part inwardly was revealed in their outward acts. There are 3 specific things I noticed that were SO compelling to me! Very applicable for today!

#1 They got rid of things that were holding them back - Isaiah calls it the 'yoke in their midst'
What 'things' might be holding you back from a real, intimate walk with the Lord Jesus?

#2 They had to stop pointing the finger and speaking wickedness
Are you getting caught up in speaking of others in a degrading way? Are you idly chatting about your brothers and sisters in Christ?

#3 They were to extend their soul to the needy and satisfy the afflicted
Are you too caught up in your own life to look for the needs of others?

The Lord calls us to abandon hypocrisy! James 3:17, "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy." If we repent of hypocrisy, the Lord gives us restored fellowship and blessing!

The Lord will guide you continually,
and satisfy your soul in drought,
and strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
and like a spring of water,
whose waters do not fail.











2 comments:

Lynn said...

I cannot figure out why my font is getting bigger and bigger - sorry. Tried to change it!

Sherri said...

LOL. I thought they were for emphasis with each new idea. Great thoughts though. I always chuckled that Mom had this verse on a poster with a waterfall next to the toilet in the basement of the house in Ashtabula. If you didn't know for sure you had to go, you did after that! Sher :)