3.04.2011

There are times as a parent when I don't have a clue how to respond to a situation that arises with one of my children. It can become taxing, frustrating, mentally exhausting. And of course, it is cold out, raining and hailing, and I'm thinking that there could be a remedy on my couch in front of Netflix along with one of those brownies in the freezer. Yes, that is the way that is tempting to respond on days like this, and although those brownies are really calling my name saying, 'just ignore the situation for awhile, eat and chill out, and deal with it later,' the truth is, that I know the temptation is not from the Lord. Somewhere in my mind I realize that there is another voice saying, 'Come unto Me all ye that are burdened and heavy laden, and I will give you rest for your souls.' So, instead, I choose to pray, to seek the Lord's guidance and help, and there I know that I will find comfort, answers and real refreshment!


I have been enjoying studying prayer with some of my friends lately. I was impressed this last week by the fact that there are several thing that God gives us when we pray:

The Holy Spirit: In Luke 11 when Jesus is teaching His disciples about prayer, He doesn't promise any certain answer, but He promises the Holy Spirit, our comforter and helper. Oswald Chambers said, "The meaning of prayer is that we get a hold of God, not the answer." As a parent who doesn't know the answers, I can commit my requests to Him, the giver of all good gifts, who gives perfectly - and He gives me comfort and guidance through the Holy Spirit! I can seek His mind and cling to Him and find His grace this is abundant!

Peace: In Philippians 4:6,7 we know we are to 'be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication' let our requests be made know to God. When we do this, committing our desires, our shortcomings, our requests to Him, we are given God's peace! A peace that surpasses our understanding! So we don't have to grab for the brownies and the movies and whatever gives us momentary satisfaction or distraction, but we get something that is not only sufficient for our needs, but far better! The peace of our heavenly Father that protects our hearts!

Strength: When Jesus was praying on the Mount of Olives and He asks the Father, "If You are willing, remove this cup from Me." We know that the Father still had in His plan that His Son would go to the cross. And that the Son only wanted to do His Father's will. He was not delivered from what was to come, but an angel from heaven came and strengthened Him for the task ahead. As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, I know that His grace is sufficient for me, and that my strength is made perfect in my weakness! Because He will give me His strength!



Whom have I in heaven but You?
And I have no delight or desire on earth beside You.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the rock
and firm strength of my heart,
and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:25,26

0 comments: